Monday, October 17, 2011

Communicat-ion-ing-ness

Communication is a simple concept but very complicated to put into practice. Performing the process of conveying what is in your own brain to make sense in someone else's brain has created a dilemma since the beginning of time. Maybe even a little before that, but I don't know. All I know is that I am really bad at it.  I forget what I have or haven't said and what is relevant. If you are someone who I talk to I will usually repeat the same story to you several times because I keep a running tally of the funniest/interesting things in my life and then tell them to everyone I see for the next few days until something funnier or more interesting comes along. That is when I remember to communicate with people. I am a face person, when you are with me I give you my time, however when you are not with me I do nothing. I blame this on a mixture of being forgetful and having no concept of time/time management skills. So when I finally remember I should talk to people it is at a really bad time like 6 o'clock in the morning or 11 o'clock at night or I just don't know where my phone is or no one is on Skype or I have no idea what I would email anyone about in the first place. 

This is a graph to gauge lack of use and skill in communications, you can see where I fall. I feel like I should do a ton, like talk for 2 hours, spend the day with someone or write a 3 page email to make it count.  This is the problem with having an excellent imagination you imagine that you need more than you actually do. Though my imagination isn't really the problem as it is the distractions I get by getting on my computer.  Computers are amazing creations, but they still have so much on them that doesn't mean anything which some how demands all of my time. The internet is your best friend if you want to waste your time. 
So here is my new goal: know my friends better than my computer. 
How am I going to accomplish this? I am still a little fuzzy on that. Basically for ever time I watch a show or do something on the computer I want to send a note or email or text or call somebody. We will see how long this lasts if at all. I really need to make a more solid plan for this to really work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment